New Equipment System

Post your long winded ideas here instead of cluttering up the global boards.
Luke

New Equipment System

Post by Luke » 13 Jul 2010, 16:00

This is an idea I have been thinking about for several months. In my honest opinion, I feel it would solve innumerable problems facing both the admin staff and the players of DBI by making our equipment system not only COMPLETELY original, but useful, interesting and fun. It would also completely change the end game of DBI (10t+) as you level your custom gear.

But this isn't an easy idea. To create it we will have to do a lot of work, and remove almost everything we currently have. Every area in the game including supermobs will have to be redone, and yes that is a great deal of work but the rewards could be amazing.

So lets get to it.

I basically want to create a system where the players create their own gear. They get to name it, give it long and short descriptions, color how they want and.... MAKE THEIR OWN STATS.

That's right. You will get to make your own items and eventually power them up as you see fit. You want 150+ strength on your Sword of Killing Newbs? Or 300 spd and int on your Parachute Pants? Go for it.

But how do we balance this? How does this fit with the equipment we have now and how would you power up your gear?

Basically it won't work with how we have things now. It would completely make equipment in the game now useless and that's not exactly a bad thing. I suggest that we completely remove the layers system and in turn... every item in the game.

Slow down, don't let your head explode just yet, I'm not finished.

Once everything has been gutted we work from the ground up. With no pre-existing equipment or that shitty layers system we're free to build anything we want.

Firstly, we need to remove several item slots and add new ones for certain races. An example would be that Icer's have no need for an earring slot. But they would benefit greatly from a "tail" slot. Secondly, no more layers. Even goku wouldn't have been able to fight with 70+ pairs of clothing on, not including bracers, anklets, masks, lights, hold items, and his sword and shield.

Next, we make it so that what your carrying is accounted for. You can't carry a shield, a sword, a light and a hold item at the same time. It's simply impossible. So you'll have to choose. Will you take your weapon (and if your weapon is only one handed) a shield? And forgo having a light and a hold item? Or take your light and hold item and forget the shield and sword? You'll have to choose. And with layers gone, you won't be able to have 9 items on body, about, legs, and arms. Instead you'll have one item on each and you'll have to decide... Do I spend my points in armor? Or try to create mad stats?

Now for the items themselves.

Creating items is simple. All you really need is a mort command similar to oset. Strict rules on naming (No dildo-swords or anything of the like). Any item that breaks naming rules is instantly destroyed and with only a few chances to actually make equipment you won't want to waste them cause you named your item something profane.

At certain powerlevels you will basically be awarded a "point" of some kind. I don't have a name for it yet, but once you have this point you are free to create an item. It prompts you thusly:

createitem short: An Item
createitem long: An item is lying here, waiting to be worn.
createitem wear: hold/take/legs/arms/back/neck/head/face/ankle/wrist/etc
createitem type: weapon/armor/treasure

Once you have finished creating this item it's a blank slate. It has no stats, no armor, nothing. So how do you power it up?

Now that there are no items in the game, a lot of the mobs and quests will seem rather pointless... or not. Instead of dropping items for you to wear and use, mobs and quests will reward you instead with "spheres."

For lack of a better word I'm just going to call these Stat Spheres. There would be 5 of them for each major stat (including luck). So you gather these spheres and for every certain number of spheres you are able to turn them into a stat point on any piece of armor you have created.

Now the potential for this is that now quests are ALWAYS useful. You won't be getting a set God item or the Devil's items or Lotus chains or Rag armors, instead you'll be getting points, and the more points you have the more stats and armor you have. This means at ANY level, camping certain mobs will be beneficial to you and certain quests depending on the difficulty will always reward you with useful points.

Red Spheres: Strength
Blue Spheres: Speed
Green Spheres: Intelligence
Yellow Spheres: Constitution
Cyan Spheres: Luck

Essentially this creates a LIMITLESS system to go with our powerlevel and energy system. No matter what, you will NEVER be able to reach a max stat pool and you will always be able to advance your character no matter what.

This is by no means a perfect system but in my mind it is WORLDS and WORLDS better than what we currently possess on DBI and I think it would give us something extremely unique in comparison to other Dragonball muds, as well as give the players something very interesting to toy with.

The exact ratio of spheres to stat points will have to be decided with some testing, but I'm sure there is a balance to be had.

Raikon

Re: New Equipment System

Post by Raikon » 13 Jul 2010, 18:11

I think SOMETHING needs to be done with the equipment system, but definitely not this. It has the potential to become very very broken and unbalanced. People who don't quest/camp wouldn't be able to use gear, without paying absolutely insane prices for it (if gear is even sellable in this idea) and people who do nothing BUT quest and camp would be stupidly overpowered. On top of that, it requires too much work and seems kinda complicated. Also, where do PL gains come in? And flags? And other extra shenanigans.

Luke

Post by Luke » 13 Jul 2010, 22:22

Well as far as weapon damage, armor, powerlevel gains and the like, I thought it would be reasonable that they are bought only with the "Luck Spheres." But that isn't so hammered out. I understand that this changes awhole lot about the game, but it IS just an idea. Really it's grounds for debate or discussion. This is my idea, and my system, but if you or anyone has a better one or one in general you should post it as well. There's a good chance nothing will come of it. We HAVE been using this system for nearly 4 years, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about alternatives. That's what this board and the gboards are for.

Raykar

Post by Raykar » 14 Jul 2010, 07:16

I like this idea in a lot of ways. I mean we already have to kill mobs 1000x before something drops and then it could be crap. I'd be worried about people knowing which mobs dropped which spheres, and others being left clueless....kind of the same way equipment is now where vets know where to camp sundrop somehow when newbs have no idea what the fuck it is.

There would need to be some kind of limit on it though, or again the people at the very top would always stay at the very top....except now they'd have huge stats on top of their huge pl and all that. Something that might help to balance that out would be having to spend a certain percentage of PL or KI to use the spheres. So if you're 10trillion and have to use 10% of your PL to upgrade your Sword of a Thousand Truths, ya drop to 9trillion but then have better stats on your gear than other 10tril pl'd people who didn't focus on stats as well.

A complete quest list that showed which quests awarded spheres would be useful as well, and then just have some randomness where you gained them while plgrinding. That could work I think.

Why not get rid of the Light slot and just let scouters have a 'light' function on them that would drain ki to keep it charged up. In battle it would be silly to drop a sword for a light, at least half of the time if not all the time.

Would also be nice if you could edit your equipment after the initial making of the item, maybe not stats but everything else just incase you messed it up the first few times trying it out. And even reworking the stats on them, at a cost to pl, would be reasonable and would encourage people to stick with a character instead of starting a new one every time they wanted to try a new build.

The thing I'd be really worried about, more than the system itself though is the amount of work that would have to go into it and all the risks that follow. What I mean by that is, admins are threatening to leave every day, like kilan just ragequit earlier today. So I'd be worried you'd get the armor system stripped down, people get pissy and quit, and then the mud's left with a bunch of naked pissed off people for a few days before they all ragequit.

Other than that one concern, I like the other aspects of this suggested system and am glad you at least are thinking bout how to improve the mud and all.

Telarr

Post by Telarr » 14 Jul 2010, 07:36

I liked this system, I really really did. Luke has a point, you didn't see people with tons of clothing on in the show. You saw them with their own gis and shit and thats what they always wore.

But one thing they kind of hangs in front of my face while reading this was the economy of the mud. Where does ZENI come into play with all this? Are those Stat Spheres nogive? Noauction? Right now zeni is mostly used to buy gear from one another, but getting rid of gear would make zeni useless for anything except doubles, and the occasional quest that involves you to buy something from a mob.

Good job, Luke.

Luke

Post by Luke » 14 Jul 2010, 11:45

Well, everyone is bringing up so good points. Balance is obviously the biggest issue and the "economy" of the mud as well. Without equipment there is little reason for things like the auction system. BUT, this is a huge idea. It's not perfect, and I don't pretend that it is. My thoughts when I was coming up with it was that it would HAVE to be implemented during a pwipe (when and really IF we ever have one). I'm not expecting a pwipe anytime this year, so this is a long ways off even if we did decide to go this route.

But with that said. A pwipe entails many other bigger changes. We've been talking about getting clans fixed and adding all the stuff they need, and I imagine that's really where people are going to sink their money into things on the next go around. And also, honestly, does anyone REALLY buy anything off auction? You might get the occasional god item, or a purple chain, or some lights if you're a newb, but how often can you really say you bought something USEFUL with your zeni? Unless some oldbie is quitting, most of you horde everything anyway and what you don't horde you usually just throw into your dumpster/BoH.

What I'm saying is, I don't think this would "ruin" the economy, it just means players will be interacting with eachother in that way a little less. Instead of buying some random crap item on auction you'll just been feeding yourself doubles more often or donating to your clan so that you guys can buy more sentries or rooms or a grav chamber or whatever else picard and rendo cook up for you.

As far as whether you can wear, give and sell the equipment you make. I generally would have to say you wouldn't "want" to anyway. The idea with this system is customization. You are in control of your own equipment. Everything from the short description to armor and stats. It's your little piece and everyone has the same ability to get points as you do, so why spend money on something you "already have?"

As for the sphere drops. My idea was to make flags for each stat sphere that could be added to mobs. Meaning basically that any random mob in the game could be loading certain types of spheres. In my mind EVERY single mob in the game would have a chance to load a sphere. But certain monsters would obviously load more spheres than others.

As for the ratio and for the "high end players." With this system, I'm imagining that while it will be nearly limitless as far as stats go, the actuallity of getting MAD stats would be similar to what we have now. In my mind, the system would scale:

So the more points you plug into a single item, the more points you need to advance it. So if you keep stacking your Hobbitslayer and Indian Headress, it's eventually going to cost more and more and more spheres to make them better. You'll probably reach a point where it's not even worth making better anymore until all your other pieces are maxed out to that point as well.

Seran

Post by Seran » 15 Jul 2010, 03:52

I like this idea for the customization aspect. Not just the stats but the descripts as well. If you look outside of muds, and into video games, you'll notice the more memorable games have aspects of customization to them. The Dark Cloud series, Rogue Galaxy, even sports games like Madden and the wrestling games Smackdown vs Raw, they all have great systems of customization that people love. Its why (in theory) the signature attack is awesome, because its your own customizable attack.

Granted it would take a lot of work, but Im sure its something that could be attainable. Like you said, the mud's been on the current system for nearly 4 years. Ive been playing for 3, and in my opinion we could use some freshness to the grind here.

Raykar

Post by Raykar » 15 Jul 2010, 04:02

I know one of the bigger questions left open about this system would be how it scaled up as you progressed... I'm wondering why not just have it similar to how trains are earned through PLgrinding. By that I mean, have a set percentage increase to what you have to collect of the spheres before you can actually put them to use. If it was something like (Just an example) 120% increase after each sphere-training point.

So if you had to earn 10 blue spheres before being able to put them to use to start out, you'd have to gain 12 blue spheres next time. This would make it simple to do early on when using a particular sphere color, and progressively get harder just like PLgrinding to attain stats.

Also if you did this by each individual sphere color, instead of overall sphere use it would encourage people to keep stats on armor balanced out but not force their hand either. They could do 1000 trains on blue spheres, and not have touched the other colors and be ready to start using them anytime.

There would probably need to be some sort of cost to actually using spheres other than collecting the specified amount though, PL reduction would be perfect for that I think. Could even make it as little as a death with immortality, and they'd come out with stronger stats and slightly less pl.

Seran

Post by Seran » 16 Jul 2010, 03:22

Also, wat if maybe the spheres themselves were what got upgraded, and the items we use had slots? Similar to leveling materia in FF7, but with some tweaks obviously. That could help smooth over the economy issue, cause I know sometimes Id rather buy a higher up item than go make it myself. And the items themselves would be anything from one slotted to however many slots you want. That would leave room for customization, as well as give something for people to go questing for (Who wouldnt wanna quest for a 7 slotted weapon when shops only sell 3 slots?)

Cian

Post by Cian » 04 Sep 2010, 18:44

There is a system that can be plugged into this codebase as well same as the space flying/combat that allows you to learn a skill that lets you gather the right pieces of raw material and build yourself gear. That could possibly work here as you would still have to purchase or camp for the material items and give the "economical" part back to the MUD as well as giving limitations other than just creating something. Better more expensive/rare dropped materials yeild stronger and better items. Just an idea.