*Pre-Date Night*

Dumastin

*Pre-Date Night*

Post by Dumastin » 16 Feb 2017, 10:06

Takes place before the "Date Night" series.

DUMASTIN
Dumastin opened his eyes and slowly unfolded from a crosslegged position atop a small tree stump. This world he’d found was one of the countless habitable-in-name-only planets to be found among the stars; this one featured a most atrociously swampy climate. The soil was mucky and unpleasant, and a thin misting of rain seemed to never stop; the only things that appeared to enjoy the climate were the plant life, which was thick and hardy. Swampy islands, the whole planet, except for the blessed regions near the poles where it consisted of lifeless tundra.

He had his reasons, as ever, for coming here, and he laid a glowing hand on one of the only flat, clean surfaces to be found in the area. Golden lines began to spread across it as the summoning spell began, and ghostly outlines formed in his vision as he focused on the familiar soul he called today. He could get a sense for Sam’s surroundings, enough to tell when the Mimic was alone and to position the corresponding circle on Sam’s side somewhere visible but out of the way. The complex glyphs would take a couple of minutes to fully form; if Sam didn’t want to respond to the summons, all he had to do was rub out a few of the lines to break the spell while it was still forming. Dumastin’s fist clenched. He didn’t know the next step would be if that happened.

SAMUEL

Sam, still on the Requiem orbiting Earth, for his part... didn't even notice. Completely preocuppied on the upcoming date with Req, it was mostly planning things out--looking up where to take her, restaurants, war museums, anything she might be interested in--using the advice from Thousand's letter. Further, it was wondering just what it should, uh, wear? It didn't like fussing about with clothes and whatnot--but it wanted to be presentable! Impress her. In the end, it was mostly just pacing back and forth, looking over various ads for restaurants and some fashion looks to find one that looked okay--walking right over the summoning circle, completely lost in thought.

That is, until he stops midstep, his train of thought momentarily sidetracked as it could feel--"Dumastin?" is all it manages to say before vanishing in a bright light, the papers it was looking at falling to the floor below.

Reappearing right in front of the man, it blinks and looks around. "Wh-what? Where am I?" it says, surprise sounding out in its voice before finally settling its gaze on Dumastin. Looking mildly confused, "Dumastin! So that -WAS- you! What's... going on?"

DUMASTIN

“I summoned you here to have a talk, that’s all.” Noting Sam’s look of surprise, he frowned. “Why are you looking at me that way? Did you not see the very bright, glowing summoning circle you would have had to step into in order to get here? I designed the spell to be about as conspicuous as possible without manifesting a spectral brass band to announce the presence of a portal.”

SAMUEL

Sam shook its head, "Nope. Was busy getting ready for a date!" it says with a sharptoothed grin, it nods, "Couple of hours til then, though," it adds, before looking back to Dumastin. "So, it's been a little while. How've you been? What's up?" it asks. From Thousand's letter, there was some sneaking suspicion that he wasn't going to like it.

DUMASTIN
“A date?” He frowned and considered that. “You can’t mean with Requius, can you?” How would that even work, he wondered? As far as he knew, the Mimics reproduced asexually and Requius was more an extension of the ship than anything else… he wondered why either one of them would have something as esoteric and unpredictable as a mating drive.

He shook it off and looked back at Sam. “I’ve been as well as can be expected.” There. He caught himself and kept his hand still before it could drift toward his chest; that was an unconscious tic that he’d had a *shocking* amount of trouble learning to control. Still, if Sam had some sort of scheduled engagement, he supposed it was in his interest to keep this meeting civil.

SAMUEL

It nods, "Yeah, with Req. We've had this date planned for a little while," it then looks to the man and arches a brow at his question, "What do you mean by that?" it asks, looking straight at the man. Can't mean with Requius? It didn't quite like that intonation, evidenced by a frown.

Nevertheless, it shakes its head and gets back on point. It wasn't summoned here to talk about its love life. "Whatever. What did you need to talk about?" it asks. It was probably something important if he summoned it instead of just talking long distance.

DUMASTIN
Dumastin straightened up and leaned back against the twisting trunk of a native tree. The tree’s canopy did a decent job of keeping the miserable dampness of the planetary rainfall off of him, at least.

How to put this… “I suppose what I needed was to tell you goodbye, as best I can. After all we’ve been through, your father and everything, you and I aren’t nearly so close as your father and I were, but… I don’t know. I thought you deserved to have a chance to talk to me while there’s still time. To see if there was anything you wanted to ask me, or anything I could do for you before I’m forced to put all of my focus on the next step.” He looked down at the ground, briefly. “In a sense, Max left you to my care. In a sense, at least. And much like Haggis, that’s a responsibility that I’ve not done a terribly good job of meeting.”

SAMUEL

It arches a brow one more time, "Goodbye?" it asks, sounding rather confused again, "What's going on? Are you going somewhere like Thousand did, or--" it cuts itself off from saying more, frowning slightly. It was still a bit of a sore subject that Thousand ran off the way he did, but that was between it and Thousand. Stll, as the namekian said, they weren't so close--the most upbringing the Namekian had given it was that one talk in the Sanctum. Still, it had known enough of loss that it didn't want to lose anyone else. There was more it wanted to ask--like if this was about something between Req and Dumastin, since Thousand's letter said they might be fighting? But it wanted to let him broach the subject first.

DUMASTIN
“I’m surprised nobody told you yet. I thought I had, but I’ve been a bit distracted, I suppose.” He raised his right hand, encased in some sort of flexible black gauntlet, and pulled aside his shirt to reveal the mark of the Winter King’s blight, a large patch of irregular dead-white skin over the deep evergreen of his normal skin color. Sam couldn’t see his magical aura, or else he’d be able to see the matching scar, like a constantly-shifting dead patch in the field of magical energy that surrounded Dumastin’s body. “That creature Rizion summoned against the Thorned… His last strike left a mark that nothing I’ve ever tried has been able to remove. It grows in strength constantly, and takes more and more power to hold back as time passes. One day soon, it’s going to kill me.” His expression grew sharp. “That’s why it might come to a fight between me and Requius. I’m not going to die like that, my soul freezing along with my body. I’ve chosen the way I’m going to die, and for that, I need the Dragonballs from Requius.” He didn’t add the words, but his demeanor conveyed the message all the same: ‘at any cost.’

SAMUEL

It blinks, looking at that wound, "Wow... that's... I'm sorry to hear that, Dumastin," it says, frowning, then as the namekian goes on it furrows its would be brow in an inscrutable look. So that's what it was about. "You're going to fight Requius... over those dragonballs?" it says, before shaking its head, "The last request Haggis had before, uh, all of that happened to him was for Req to keep them safe. They're hers. If you want to use them, you'll have to talk to her about it--but if you try to hurt her, I don't care if its for some big plan or what--I won't let you," it narrows its eyes, staring at the namekian. This was not something that was up for debate. Thousand or Dumastin could ask all they want, it would not sit by and let Dumastin try to fight or hurt her, for any reason.

DUMASTIN
“If she forces me to. I don’t care what Haggis asked her to do; the Dragonballs are a problem that goes back to Arlia and this idiotic conflict between the Order and Chaos avatars, and that made them my problem long before Haggis died.” He crossed his arms irritably. “Besides, I *don’t* want to use them. And when I’m done with them, they’ll be safer than anyone else in the universe could keep them.” Sam’s bravado didn’t even make him flinch. He’d known what the price might be when he’d stepped on this path, and he’d made sure that the appropriate people-including Requius herself-had a way of dealing with him if he went too far out of control. He didn’t want to fight either of them, but his tone was like the same steel that the core of his very soul was forged from.

SAMUEL

This wasn't bravado, or boasting, or anything of the sort. This was dead serious, and toned to match. At Dumastin's explanations, it simply shook its head dismissively. "I don't care. They're hers. If she doesn't want to give them to you, that's that. If you want to fight or hurt her, I won't let you," no threats, no 'I'll tear you to shreds,' in fact rather cool and almost out of character in comparison to its normally battle-ready and bloody bravado. If it came down to it, it would help Req in a fight--even against Dumastin. It didn't want to hurt Dumastin or any of its friends, but it wouldn't let them hurt Req, either. No matter what.

DUMASTIN
“Then help me convince her to give them to me. This is a conflict older than either of you, and neither of you have any business interfering. As long as those Dragonballs exist, this entire damned universe is under a threat more serious than you can imagine or understand, no matter *who* you have protecting them!” His face grew grim, and his fist clenched and unclenched within that black gauntlet. “I don’t want to fight either of you. But I’m going to murder the Eternal Dragon of Nightmares, and nobody in this universe is going to come between me and that goal. This isn’t about family. This is about the future, and whether there may well *be* one.”

SAMUEL

Samuel just stares at Dumastin for a few long moments, its brow furrowed, frown on its face, looking rather mad to even be put into this situation. "You're not going to change my mind, I'll ask her, but if she doesn't want to give them up--they're hers. And that's the end of it," it says, matter of factly. If anyone was interfering, it was Dumastin--up til now, no one had even bothered mentioning the dragonballs, much less tried to get them. Besides, the last time Dumastin had a chance to destroy those gods, he just ended up becoming the Thorned in the first place, which was a shame on its part--it didn't want any of that to happen.

DUMASTIN
“Do you really think that you can just go back to your home, and sweep all this under the rug? Just because it hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it won’t. You two face a war to end all wars, and you’re blind to it. The Dragonballs… even those of the lesser Dragons are treasures priceless beyond measure and powerful beyond reckoning. And the Nightmare Dragonballs are far more powerful than those spoken of in legend. The Nightmare Dragon will answer *any wish* put to him, Sam! Not just once, but multiple times! He won’t, can’t, refuse, though the scraps I’ve been able to find suggest that he’s capricious and malevolent, prone to twisting wishes that didn’t suit his tastes. He’ll grant power beyond measure, wipe away not just worlds but entire races, grant knowledge of the deepest and blackest secrets of the universe. And you can’t hide them. You’ve seen the effects the Dragonballs themselves have on normal people, but the Dragon is supposed to be able to call to the hearts of people of foul intent.” His face had softened. Sam wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, but he wouldn’t go on without making sure that the little Mimic knew exactly what he was getting himself into.

“People will come for them. The worst in the galaxy will seek them out. I’d fight you for them; what will you do if someone captures one of your children and threatens to kill them if you don’t exchange them for the Dragonballs? Will you cling to Requius every hour of every day from here on out, keep your children close, and live the rest of what might be an immortal lifespan fighting that fight?” He crossed his arms, and the dim light filtering through the clouds and tree canopies above made dancing patterns on his cybernetic arm. “War, even. Forget the Alliance; entire peoples will go to battle if their existence became known. The Dragon could wipe out the entire Alliance without breaking a sweat; entire peoples would go to war for a weapon like that, or to keep it from the hands of those they fear.” He shook his head. “It’s not a threat, however you might choose to interpret it. That is the future that I see laid out before Requius. Strife, pain, and possibly even death. That is the *only* future that contains the Nightmare Dragonballs.”

SAMUEL

It looks to Dumastin, brow furrowed. "I've gotten this far by winging it. I'll work something out, but don't ask me to turn on and fight Requius, or to step aside and let you do it. I won't. I -can't-. Req," it pauses in its speech, looking down a moment, "She helped show me, well, life outside of fighting--she even helped me learn how to cook. I've never felt this way about anyone else," it shook its head a moment, "If she wants to keep the dragonballs enough to not give them away to you for whatever you have planned, I won't take them from her, or let anyone else do it. If that means I have to protect her for the rest of my life, so be it," it looks back up to Dumastin, "We're not helpless to defend ourselves either. I'm stronger than Dad was, that much I know, and Req is every bit as strong as I am, herself. If anyone comes after Jaraid or Flay, I'll take care of them myself--they're getting stronger all the time, too. Flay even wants to go learn some martial arts,"

DUMASTIN
“Stubborn. In that more than anything, you remind me of your father.” He sighed slowly and lowered his arms. “I know better than to try to change your mind on this by talking you around. I’ll send you back, then, so you’re not late for your date. Then… is there anything else you want to say to me, or to hear from me? Now, before…” Before, he didn’t say, this turned into the battle that he had been hoping to avoid. There would be no more time for peaceful words, then. As strong as Requius and Sam were, he might not even be able to defeat them, and he knew they’d have to kill him to end it. Then there’d be no more time for words of any sort.

SAMUEL

Listening to Dumastin, Sam just looks down a moment and sighs, "Yeah," it says with a nod, "I wanted to say... I'm sorry, about that whole... Thorned thing. I shouldn't have gotten you involved, and I'm sorry," it furrows its brow and shakes its head a moment, "It was good to see you again, Dumastin. I'm glad we got a chance to talk before... well. I'm sorry it has to be like this, but I will ask Req about the Dragonballs for you," it nods.

DUMASTIN
The Namek shook his head. “That was my fight a long time before you got involved. I’ve told you before not to blame yourself. I’d have gone without you if I had known where Aydun’s body was hidden.” He held up his hand, and his fingers glittered with blue fire as he prepared the reverse of the spell that brought Sam to this planet. And then…

Black mist formed around him, and the air took on a darker tone. “Don’t just leave it like that! Show him the rest. Let him feel it for himself!” Dark glowing pits in that black fog fixed on Sam. Oh, yes, that was a familiar gaze. “The Namek is trying to protect you, boy. And himself. He’s weak like that, thinks that he’s doing you a favor.”

Dumastin’s fist closed, and his face grew slightly angry. “We talked about this. He doesn’t need to know! It’s not his problem and it’s not his business.”

That black mist grew more solid, formed into a body, like that of a hulking humanoid. The black gauntlet slid off of Dumastin’s fist, and a gem on the its back glowed as Iapetus took his solid form and pressed Dumastin against the tree. “You think he’ll think better of you if he doesn’t know what’s going on in that heart of yours. Hah!” He dropped Dumastin and turned to Sam, drawing closer and almost looming over the Mimic. “How about you, little one? I bet you hate me, don’t you? Bet I dredge up bad memories. Well, I am what I am, and I make no apologies for that, but *he* has depths like you wouldn’t even believe. His soul had a predator’s fangs long, long before I was released. And besides…” That demon’s face split into a wide grin, baring teeth like shining red spinel gems. “He’s not telling the whole truth… He’s not lying, but he hides away the truth, just doles out what he thinks you can handle.” He opened his mouth to go on, and a blast of lightning split his body into a thousand tiny motes of fog. The gauntlet dropped to the ground, smoking, but the fog reformed, and the demon simply laughed. Behind where the demon had stood, smoke rose from Dumastin’s fingers, and his expression was furious.

Samuel

Samuel grunts, glaring at the demonic visage, its tail smacking against the ground in annoyance. That was not someone it wanted to see again. The mimic tenses its clawed hands for the moment as it glares at the Demon, almost ready to pounce on it itself, "Shut up and go to hell," is all it says in regards to the demon, not deigning to speak any more words to it--it was with Dumastin, otherwise it would've attacked already. Regardless, Dumastin apparently handled it himself, leaving it to just shake its head slowly. Not exactly sure what was going on. "What was that all about, Dumastin? What aren't you telling me?" it asks after a few moments, before looking back up to the Namekian. Apparently the Namekian used to be a 'bad guy' or something? Still, it didn't like not knowing the full story.

DUMASTIN
He seemed uneasy at having been boxed in by the demon’s shenanigans, but he met Sam’s gaze. “It’s not… something that I can just say. I have reasons to suspect eyes are upon me, and talking too much about my plans could bring trouble down on me. So long as those threats are unaware of the true nature of my plans, they cannot act, but if they found out… I doubt I could stand against them. You didn’t need to know, and what you didn’t know you can’t share by accident. I had a way of giving the message to Thousand, and-”

The floating cloud of black mist seemed to lift that fallen gauntlet off the ground. It floated back onto Dumastin’s hand and settled there. “You could give him the message too, and you know it. You just don’t want to admit it because you don’t think he can handle it. After all, the only way to share it would be to bundle the memories in the dreamscape spell… And then the boy would see you for who you really are, too, and know why you’re doing what you’re doing. Down to the bone and blood, he’d know a part of you, and wouldn’t that be terrible?” The demon’s tone was less mocking than before. For all that he enjoyed twitting the Namek’s sensibilities, he enjoyed their partnership; this was just a point on which they disagreed strongly.

SAMUEL

Sam grunts in annoyance as the demon crops back up. So not only did Dumastin expect it to back off and let him do whatever he wanted--he expected it to do it without even telling it the whole truth and everything else? Thousand's letter said as much--that there was some reason he was doing it that he wouldn't share. But that just made it all the more galling. Still, it had already known this much, and whatever truth there was to learn wasn't going to change its mind--it would protect Req, including from Dumastin if need be.

On the other hand, it was kind of curious, "'Who you really are?'" it says, looking back from the demon to Dumastin, frowning slightly and starting to go through its collection of memories--specifically from Max, seeing what it could figure out about him that he was hiding.

DUMASTIN
“Does it matter? Go home or stay and see what the demon is so insistent on me showing you. It’s your choice.” He held up his hand, and it glowed with the blue fire of the sending-spell. “I”m not going to try to talk you into subjecting yourself to an experience like that. I know better than most how susceptible you are to mental trauma, and while I wouldn’t be doing anything malicious, it wouldn’t be necessarily… pleasant.”

SAMUEL

Furrowing its brow, Sam thinks for a moment, it really didn't like the prospect of the dreamscape aspect, and it still had to get ready for that date, "I've gotten better at the whole... mental thing. I even used that... thing that Req and Thousand made to go into one. But you're right, it's still... uncomfortable... and it wouldn't really change anything, I don't think. Though I'd still like to know," it gives a sigh, and shook its head, "As long as I can get back in time for my date, alright. I.. I don't want to disappoint her. It's the first time we'll be going on one," it says, rather sheepishly on that comment, awkwardly scratching the back of its neck for a moment, before finishing with a small nod, thinking quietly.

DUMASTIN
Dumastin paused. “Go on your date. You should focus on that for now. It’ll take me time to prepare the modified spell, anyway…” He spared a glare for the mistform demon. “I’ll send another summoning circle tomorrow. If you still want to see that secret, I’ll show you then.” He didn’t want to unsettle the little Mimic too much before the date; as odd as it seemed to him, it seemed important to Sam.

SAMUEL

Sam furrows its brow for a moment, nodding, "Well, alright, despite... all of this, it was nice to see you again, Dumastin," it says. Looked like it would take too long, anyway--it still had to get ready for the date and everything! Its mind was shifting back towards that as it stepped towards Dumastin to be sent back. It just had to decide on a look. A nice one! Req wore some nice clothes, it should, too.

DUMASTIN
The Namek stood there looking at Sam, the blue glow returning around his fingers. “Good luck on your date, Sam.” He reached out and touched the Mimic’s chest, and Sam vanished, back to the spot where the circle had been. The only trace left behind was the slowly fading lines of the circle’s glyphs on the floor… and some sort of bundle that hadn’t been there before.

Manifesting cloth from nothing was surprisingly easy, it turned out. As Cosmic magic went, it was barely a parlor trick; it wasn’t quite the same as “real” cloth, but it felt the same and the fibers were actually tougher and stronger without the flaws imposed by nature’s creation. A note pinned to the bundle read, “Prime says these are the current fashion in formal menswear on Earth. I wouldn’t know, myself, but apparently the overall style hasn’t changed all that much, so you should be all right.”

Back on the swamp world, Dumastin used his power to step through space, and took up a crosslegged position in his Atrium. Slowly, he began to craft a memory spell.

Kuro

Re: Pre-Date Night

Post by Kuro » 19 Feb 2017, 19:17

rpp awarded

Lye

Re: *Pre-Date Night*

Post by Lye » 15 Apr 2017, 04:19

Covered in the next review and awarded by Kuro