RP arcs

Discuss the events going on in the world of RP here.
DBICustom

RP arcs

Post by DBICustom » 04 Oct 2010, 04:29

This is a pretty generic topic to start, but for the sake of discussion and general knowledge I'm throwing it out there.'

In short: What are the types of plot arcs that you guys most enjoy for roleplay?

And by that I mean, what sorts of things interest you in a long term scale? Do you enjoy giant war arcs like the ones that just happened on Insignia? Do you enjoy things like Age of Ruin? Perhaps something that affects the setting like Doom? Special or magical arcs like Nygmus' Monday Night Events?

What sort of arcs do you hope to see in the future? Also, feel free to just throw your ideas up here. Maybe you've got a really good one that Saeji wouldn't mind rolling with or maybe even me or Rizion, who knows. Keep in mind, and arc should be something that everyone (no matter your tier) can enjoy in some way, and that the arc needs to be able to withstand critcism and the interaction of the PC's (AKA, it can't be something that is so set in stone that the PC's can't effect it).

Raykar

Re: RP arcs

Post by Raykar » 04 Oct 2010, 04:53

I don't rp at all, but I do watch it go on and read the logs sometimes. Anyways, was only going to make a short statement about my observation of Age of Ruin.

I noticed that tons of people were excited about Age of Ruin, even those that didn't take part in it. It actually got me to RP but I got side tracked with some stuff. But what I was noticing was that several people that didn't RP often were excited about it. I think it was mainly that you could jump right into it, at pretty much any tier you wanted. Could also fight as hard as you wanted and die, without it affecting your main RP character in a negative way. So it was like all the awesomeness of RP without all the early slow going stuff.

If there were more events, that had a cool story...but let you RP a different character it could do a lot to change things up. Lure in lower tiers into a really active event and let them play with the big boys and gain that experience, and even might convince non-rpers to join up and see what it was like just once.

Nygmus

Post by Nygmus » 04 Oct 2010, 07:35

I think I tend to prefer arcs like I used to do prewipe, where you weren't plotlocked for the duration. Something like Doom (except minus the crippling world effects and tremendous delays between events).

I'd like to see something like the Monday Night Events. I had a lot of fun with those...

Overall, I think my favorite plotline of all time (that I ran) was the Steelreign plot arc I did for Naara (Kairus). That was some fun shit.

I had once talked about doing a special event with an alternate setting where everyone was pretty much an unrestricted T7. "A Taste of Power" or something like that. Nobody on staff bought into it, so like a lot of stuff I wanted to do I let it die.

Telarr

Post by Telarr » 04 Oct 2010, 09:06

I dislike long run arcs like... The War on Insignia and Doom. Because you guys let them take FOREVER. But I really do enjoy arcs like the Monday Nights event and AoR. But what I HATE HATE HATE more then anykind of arc is arcs that lock your character to general positions... Like... The War on Insignia and Doom!

I otherwise normally just stick to player run arcs, I don't think I've ever actually tried to run my own arc... Er- anyway. Player run arcs tend to be easily escapable and not plotlockey, ya'know?

Nygmus

Post by Nygmus » 04 Oct 2010, 10:26

The problem with the non-plotlockey arcs is that it's hard to get people to actually commit to them...

As I recall, one thing that made arcs continue pretty well is to have one "Star" player, and have most of the core story progress around that player (who still shouldn't be plotlocked!), and have anyone else be secondary to the story. It was kind of boring for anyone other than the star, but if you kept moving and tried to give everyone a chance at the spotlight, it wasn't terrible.