Age Topic 1: School Techniques

Discuss the events going on in the world of RP here.
Nygmus

Age Topic 1: School Techniques

Post by Nygmus » 08 Sep 2010, 10:20

Planning on introducing school techniques. These will bear vague resemblance to DBZ moves and will be taught to characters based on certain criteria.

The topic of discussion for the day IS:

How should they scale?

METHOD A:
School techniques scale for free based on the character's tier up to tier 4. Example: A t1's School Technique is considered level 1, a t4's is considered level 4, a t5's is still considered level 4. The character is never charged red RPP for this.

METHOD B: School techniques are free at the first level and each upgrade level costs 5 Red points instead of 10.

METHOD C: School techniques scale for free based on the tier of the character's highest Energy Blast skill. A t4 with only a t2 blast also has a tier 2 school technique, etc. Unaffected by Natural Talent; the school technique caps off at your tier.

Thoughts? By the way, if you have any hope of making some sort of input on the rest of the Age changes, keep it civil. I'm still stinging from the last time we tried involving you guys in a discussion.

BenRGamer

Re: Age Topic 1: School Techniques

Post by BenRGamer » 09 Sep 2010, 22:24

I'm thinking they maybe should function somewhat like inventions--that is, you pay actual RPP for them, but you can hand 'em out however you like, and they don't take up normal attack slots.

Biracazir

Post by Biracazir » 11 Sep 2010, 19:28

I like Method B, honestly. One thing I thought of...is that instead of Demons, Gods and whatnot...that, the Admins are actually one of The Immortals. Like in Taoism, great, mighty teachers---With their own School.

I also think that each school has a secret technique, that must be payed for with -double- the req. These would be like the Kamehameha Wave, or, Dodon Ray.

BenRGamer

Post by BenRGamer » 11 Sep 2010, 19:41

Kamehameha is so secret multiple people learned it by watching it once. >_>

Biracazir

Post by Biracazir » 11 Sep 2010, 19:50

Kamehameha was also fail. It was used like Spirit Bomb, when Goku was actually about to get his ass killed.

Seran

Post by Seran » 11 Sep 2010, 19:57

I think I like Method A if I understood it correctly. Thus people under Maverick's wing could learn something from him without having to pay for it. And we would actually get something useful from the aliiance other than chuckles from memories of blowing up a police station.

Nygmus

Post by Nygmus » 12 Sep 2010, 00:20

I didn't explain myself well enough, I think.

Basically, these School Techniques are, at present, planned to be DBZ-esque techniques. The intent here is to make the setting feel a little more DB-flavored by dropping these in. There's a Kamehameha equivalent planned, as well as some others.

At present there aren't concrete plans for School Techniques originated by player masters (though this could become the way we implement the DBZ attacks!)

Seran

Post by Seran » 12 Sep 2010, 16:48

Since Mav has a tendency IRP to take others under his wing (even if for a post or two) from that angle it would make sense to have some player-school techniques in place. I know Ive had someone in the past wear a Gi with one of Mav's character's slogans on it, proclaiming I learned from him.

Nygmus

Post by Nygmus » 13 Sep 2010, 09:32

Hmm.