Tier 0

Discuss the events going on in the world of RP here.
Seran

Re: Tier 0

Post by Seran » 11 Sep 2010, 20:36

I could agree to that.

Cian

Post by Cian » 11 Sep 2010, 20:50

I don't see a horrible problem with it but I'm not doing much. When I think of a one shot attack to save your ass in a dangerous situation at T0 I'm more inclined to use Gohan as an example in the Radditz saga when he blew out of the pod and used the Masenko blast. Yeah it was powerful for his size and it did some flashy damage, but for the most part Radditz was still able to shake it off. I don't mind being a T0 peon really, I enjoy the RP regardless. Yes I do want to advance my character and yes of course I do want to make him stronger. Anyone that says that's never a goal when they RP is pretty much working on their doctorate in Bovine Scatology. No one wants to RP a weakling forever, Getting stronger opens new doors and new avenues of RP for you. And to me gaining tier levels doesn't really have to mean Cian is getting stronger either, I prefer to think of it as Cian is getting smarter.

The way I've looked at it since creation is according to the Series, by and large Saiyan's are BORN with powerlevels higher than Mr. Satan's. What did I do to combat this mental clash within myself? Had my character beaten to hell and injured, malnurished and hurt, bringing his strength down to an abysmal level. Did that hurt my character or playing? No it didn't. It gave me a way to work it in. When Cian finally reaches T1, I'll simply play it as Cian getting back to full strength again and consider that Cian's normal power at T1. From there is where I will consider Cian growing beyond where I envisoned him starting.

For me the T0 shows you who can handle actually thinking through their character, And who just wants to start off slinging energy blast and blowing up planets.

Again... Just my two cents.

Seran

Post by Seran » 13 Sep 2010, 09:31

I slightly agree but I like the idea of a T0 having this lifeline, that like you said may not be all that powerful but its enough to put someone else off and say Hey, they arent as easy prey as we thought.

ikenbon

Post by ikenbon » 13 Sep 2010, 22:24

I know better than to reply to these sorts of topics anymore, but I'm in need of some good old forum drama to add on top of my real drama so here goes:

Personally I've always thought of t0 as your introduction to roleplay. It's basically an application. You jump into the world. You tell us about your character, you set up your motivations, your background, you show us what you can do on the channel and then once you've roleplayed for a little while you get to the "fun" stuff.

Now, thats my general idea of what t0 is, but I think that people take the "you're only as strong as Hercule" thing way out of proportion. Comparing yourself to Hercule doesn't make it seem at all grand. But there are many "t0" characters in fiction and anime that you could easily prescribe yourself to and have butt loads of fun. For instance, Batman is t0, Bruce Lee was t0, Vash the Stampede, Spike (Cowboy Bebop), Duke Nukem, Zolo (One Piece), Dirty Harry, Link (LoZ), Snake (MGS), Kenshin, Tekken Characters ETC.

Now the basic argument to this is, "But LUUUUKKKKEEEE, we don't wanna be batman, we wanna have powerlevels over 9000!"

And to that I say: You will, in time. But for now, when you're first starting you honestly don't need powers to have a great deal of freedom and fun. I mean, just look at those characters I listed and think about their exploits. There is absolutely nothing keeping you from having battles and expierences as epic as anything any of those characters did, and by the time you go through an average story plot you'll be t1 anyway.

Now, not to say I'm completely against t0's having... something. A skill? I don't know. MAYBE when they hit 10 reds, which would be logical anyway. And the skill would pretty much be the equivalent of Dan Hibiki's Hadoken. A tiny little burst of energy that really wouldn't be anything more than the very beginning of your emerging power. I can't really think of a better example than that.

But my point is, honestly you can do amazing things at t0 as long as you have a good deal of imagination. Batman can save Gotham City. Duke Nukem can kill a kick ass and chew bubblegum, so why don't other t0's? I honestly think people give themselves prescribed limitations. Just because your only as strong as the strongest man doesn't mean you're incapable of amazing feats. Go back and watch the episodes of Dragonball before Goku learns the Kamehameha wave. Goku isn't "powerful" by any mean at this stage, but he has loads of fun. Honestly, I almost think we have let roleplay become to "realistic." Dragonball and Dragonball Z were full of exxagerations. Goku and Krilling were shot full of bullets by Launch. They fell hundreds of stories and didn't break their legs. They could jump and swing and ride on magical clouds. So, I think there is lots of room to be silly and fun and "powerful" if you're capable of using you're imagination. Your only real limit is that, yes, you cannot shoot real energy blasts. But you don't honestly need to and you can still have very compelling and interesting stories without them, and by the time you do one or two of these kinds of arcs you'll be T1 anyway.

What I would consider however, is for the Admins to be more... lienient on giving reds out during your stay as t0. But only for t0. Basically, if they see someone roleplaying a new character and they like that character and he/she is doing fun and insteresting things, maybe just reward them a bit more? The average fight or w.e to get reds usually gets 1 or 2, maybe 3 or 4 in special cases, but if giving 3 or 4 became more common during t0, that would solve the problem anyway and would get people who are doing well and using the system correctly going faster.

Honestly, I dont see why the RP admins dont just bump up their rating system. I mean hell, you could level out the distance between Lye and most of the smaller cast of roleplayers really easily just by doing some special "training" events where you award people more reds than your average roleplay.

Nygmus

Post by Nygmus » 14 Sep 2010, 07:48

I'd like to point out that Hercule was actually pretty badass and was probably the strongest normal human on the planet at the time. Sure, next to the Z Fighters he was almost literally a non-entity, but he won the World Martial Arts Tournament fairly before he turned into the full-of-himself prick we all know and love.

Seran

Post by Seran » 16 Sep 2010, 13:42

Im going to bring this up as soon as you respond in the mud...
How can you say Batman and Snake are tier 0? Because they cant shoot beams? Batman has useful gadgets and various martial arts knowledge and money, while Snake...Im not sure exactly what he has after playing every metal gear solid game but he isnt normal in the slightest. While I know no tier 0 is the same I wouldnt classify someone who can infiltrate crap singlehandedly , take out tanks and helicopters with a machine gun, and have a bandana that gives infinite ammo as a tier 0.

However I see where you are going with this and I agree. I think we limit ourselves based on assumptions that we as tier 0 are weak.

Nygmus

Post by Nygmus » 16 Sep 2010, 20:51

Snake, I don't know enough about to quantify, but everything I know indicates t0 status.

Batman, I know enough about to sit here on my throne and tell you: He is a flat-out t0. Tier status doesn't cover gadgets and knowledge and money, thematically; it's all about physical power, and Batman has never been, to my knowledge, depicted as being capable of acts a t0 shouldn't be able to do.

(though, on the same note, our SYSTEM, especially the IRP Rewards "Perk" system, DOES treat higher tier players as having more access. I'm well aware I contradict myself on that point. The core of the matter is, while gaining tiers does give you more access to goods and services as far as that kind of things is concerned, this is more a function of balance than the thematic applications of the system.)

Seran

Post by Seran » 17 Sep 2010, 12:31

Alright I concede that they are tier 0 in our universe. But Snake would win in a fight.

Nygmus

Post by Nygmus » 17 Sep 2010, 13:16

He's a very highly skilled t0 who might actually stand a decent chance against a t1. Yes, he would probably win in a fight.

Nygmus

Post by Nygmus » 17 Sep 2010, 15:11

I mean Snake would win in a fight against a t0. Batman would kick his ass. Noob.